tisdag 2 februari 2016

Power of the Night

There are occasions when I really start to wonder why one band is so appealing while I'm hardly interested at all in the next. What it is that makes me like music one time but on the other, just fade to infinity and remain in memory as something that sounded ok but not more. What is it I'm looking for in a record? It's very hard to pin-point these things and it's almost impossible to explain and even harder to understand when people don't feel the same about the things I like.

Peter bought a batch of records a while back which showed up by the end of last week so Friday was spent going through those and of course mixing it up with some Michael Schenker. I'm really excited about the concerts. Mr Schenker is one of my all time favorites, one of my guitar heroes. I've been hooked since first time I heard him. I bought Perfect Timing sometime in -87 or maybe -88. And the concert season has been very dry for me since beginning of December also which makes these shows even more exciting. 
But back to the bunch of records, one in the bunch really stood out. Canadian DAYS OF YORE, a rather complex concept album touching upon FATES WARNING, KING DIAMOND or so, type Progressive Heavy Metal. Of course with those references it's bound to be good. Given references are not always true though and it needs more than to just copy an act. But there was something really special with the record. From a production perspective it sounded ok, nothing special and not a catastrophe.   


And then, the next band that I've been nagging everyone about for some weeks now. Also a Canadian band, SARASIN who will release an album through Pure Steel in a few weeks. Everyone I've played it for has actually liked it so they're good. But for me, I just couldn't stop listening to the record. Time after time after time and for each spin it crept more and more under my skin and for every time the emotion it developed got stronger and stronger. It still is spinning and I'm really looking forward to get the real album in my hands!


And then I can be really pissed off over bands, even if they sound really good feel to forced into sounding like this or that. Perhaps not ripping off straight away but copying a bit too much. The really annoying thing is that these band normally get good response, so much cred and kudos while band that has a very original sound don't get anything at all.
I got STARBLIND's latest for review, and by all means, the record is decent. But if I want IRON MAIDEN, I listen to IRON MAIDEN. And for me it doesn't do much to get a band that sounds this much as something else.


As another music related topic a friend asked me if there was any bands left for me to see live. If I had something I really, really was urging to see that I haven't seen. Also, something that's realistic to happen as a twist to the discussion. Else, LED ZEPPELIN but that's not going to happen, SABBATH with Dio... But real things that can happen. One of the first that struck me was HELLION, I've only seen Ann Boleyn with DETENTE at Headbangers, she ruled and I love DETENTE also but HELLION was also one of the really early ones I found all by myself. On many occasions class mates or other friends recorded stuff for me on tape, but this one I bought and it kept spinning. The first EP that is, next HELLION I bought was "The Black Book" and this I hold as a favorite to this day. One more thing that I'm really looking forward to see is METAL CHURCH with Mike Howe. I liked Ronny Munroe as well but he didn't seem as inspired the last tour. Fan pack (regular one) pre-ordered of the coming album with an additional Mike Howe shirt! 

And now, since the dry season is over I'm looking forward to a very nice February.
First up is Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock, times 2. Both Stockholm and Malmö. I was aiming for Copenhagen as well (take back for lost times) but couldn't get the logistics to work around it.

And that's followed by Manowar, a quick visit to Stockholm.
And a few days break before Helloween hits Gothenburg.
And then there's actually a break before the last batch, which is good since I'll have some time to write and get the reports posted also.

Dirkschneider and Anvil makes it a short night and up in the early morning light to catch a flight to Greece Friday morning. Means I will miss the Warm-Up this year but I get to see all the goodies at the Festival.
And then February turns to March and winter should be over and it's time to look forward to the Festival season for real! Yey!

And CDON sent the package with the Michael Schenker record I didn't have already. Really disappointed with myself that I've missed the release completely. But ok, I think I took it for a collection as it's titled "Tales of Rock'n'Roll" and have a bikini-girl with a guitar on the front. Not that I have the time to listen to it before the first show though but at least I have them all after this!

Cheers
E

NP: Michael Schenkers Temple of Rock - Spirit on a Mission
   



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar